Countdown to 104th Grey Cup Festival presented by Shaw is officially on
Festival to include free events for kids and families, live music, CFL stars and alumni, and more
#GREYCUP sign debuts at Roundhouse Park
September 22, 2016
TORONTO -- In exactly nine weeks, the Grey Cup Festival presented by Shaw will kickoff in downtown Toronto as a lead up to the 104th Grey Cup on Sunday, November 27th, the first-ever at BMO Field.
Sara Moore, the COO of the 104th Grey Cup Festival, shared details about the Festival today in front of the giant #GREYCUP sign at Roundhouse Park. The sign will be seen around Toronto in the weeks leading up to the national championship.
Moore said that this year’s Grey Cup Festival offers events and activities for people of all ages.
"The Grey Cup truly belongs to all Canadians and this year’s Festival was built with that in mind, offering a little something for everyone. It will feature classic Grey Cup events Canadians have come to love, and even some with an added twist, but it will also include some brand new events altogether."
One of the new events debuting at this year’s Grey Cup Festival is the Empowering Women and Community Through Sport Summit. This luncheon will be held on Friday, November 25th at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre and feature women who hold leadership positions within sport as guest speakers and panelists.
On Friday night, the Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada will host the Festival Kickoff Party. This event transforms the traditional Grey Cup Gala Dinner to an evening of food and drinks in Ripley’s Aquarium amongst the sharks, stingrays and jellyfish. It will feature music by a celebrity DJ and special Grey Cup and CFL themed activities in and outside of the tanks.
The Grey Cup Festival will be held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, along Bremner Blvd and Roundhouse Park, Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada, and of course, across Exhibition Place on game day.
The 2016 Grey Cup Festival, along with the 104th Grey Cup Championship, is proudly presented by CFL partner Shaw Communications.
“The Grey Cup Festival is the quintessential venue for fans of CFL football to come together and experience one of Canada’s most iconic celebrations,” said Chethan Lakshman, Vice President, Communications and Public Relations, Shaw Communications. “CFL fans are passionate and care deeply about football and the league, and through this year’s Festival, we’re excited to help bring them closer to the game they love in fun and exciting ways.”
The Honourable Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport was at today’s announcement and spoke about the importance of the event for city and province.
“The Grey Cup Festival is a great opportunity for visitors to take in all the culture and excitement Toronto has to offer,” she said. “It’s going to be a big score for the city’s economy and jobs – filling hotels, restaurants, bars – and of course, the Festival host site at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. We’re proud to host Canada’s 104th football championship here in Ontario, and we invite everyone to come and join the party.”
Information and tickets for Festival events can be found at GreyCupFestival.ca.
Tickets to the 104th Grey Cup presented by Shaw can be purchased by visiting CFL.ca/GreyCup.
The Grey Cup Festival Line Up
• The 104th Grey Cup Festival presented by Shaw will kickoff on Thursday, November 24th and run through Sunday, November 27th, culminating with the first-ever Grey Cup played at the newly renovated BMO Field.
• The South Building of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre will be transformed into Grey Cup Festival HQ featuring many of the infamous team parties such as Riderville and the Argos team party, TSN’s Sportscentre set where they will be broadcasting from throughout the week, a massive CFL Shop with team and Grey Cup merchandise, and many free and fun activations for fans of all ages.
• The free admission Nissan Titan Street Festival will take over Bremner Blvd and Roundhouse Park with outdoor partner activations, games and activities for kids, an outdoor lodge serving hot food and cold drinks and a food truck alley. The Nissan Titan Street Festival will be open on Friday and Saturday.
• The Grey Cup Festival Concert Stage presented by SiriusXM, located in the Nissan Titan Street Festival, will offer free concerts featuring Canadian bands on Friday and Saturday.
• The CFLAA Legends Luncheon, featuring the CFL’s biggest stars, hosted in partnership with the Canadian Football League Alumni Association, will be held on Friday, November 25th at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. The prestigious Man of the Year award will be handed out to two Argo greats: Pete Martin and Michael ‘Pinball’ Clemons.
• The Nissan Titan Tailgate Party, expected to be the largest pre-game tailgate ever in Canada, will be held in the Ontario Place parking lot on Sunday, and of course, selling ice-cold beer for $4.
• The Budweiser GameDay Fan Zone, located on Exhibition Place grounds, will be an outdoor pre-game party on Sunday serving hot food and cold drinks and will feature live music and entertainment.
• The VIP Pre-Game Warm-Up Party will be held at Muzik Night Club on Sunday and feature food, drinks, live music and entertainment.
More details about each event will be announced in the weeks leading up to the Grey Cup.
Jamie Dykstra; Toronto Argonauts, Senior Director, Media & Communications
647-400-6235 | email@example.com
647-284-3319 (cell) | 416-341-2740 (office) | firstname.lastname@example.org
905-379-9775 (cell) | 416-341-8556 (office) | email@example.com